1. agree with someone a) pay special attention to something
2. link (v) b) explain
3. issue c) find a solution to a difficulty
4. acceptable d) postpone
5. confirmation e) think carefully about something
6. consider f) accept what someone says
7. resolve (a problem) g) tie up
8. delay a meeting to a future time h) problem
9. say what you mean i) all right
10. focus on j) repetition of something
IV. Which of the following words indicate rejection is coming? Mark them with an R (rejection). Mark the others with an A (agreement)
1) Unfortunately … ___ 7) It’s a pity ,,, ____
2) Sadly… ____ 8) We don’t think … ____
3) We regret that… ____ 9) We cannot possibly ____
4) I’m pleased to say … ____ 10) I III. Match the word on the left to the correct meaning on the right.’m sorry, but… ____
5) Fortunately… ____ 11) It’s possible that… ____
6) I’m afraid… ____ 12) Happily… ____
V. Read the five extracts from the end of the negotiations. Underline the words or word combinations which show the result of the negotiation - agreement reached or rejected. Complete the table below
Extract Agreement reached? Next step?
I think it’s clear we have no agreement. We’re wasting time here, so thank you for talking to us, we’ve had a busy morning. I think we’ll leave and perhaps another time we’ll find some way to work together.
Well, I think that’s III. Match the word on the left to the correct meaning on the right. been useful. I’ll send you a letter summarizing what we’ve agreed and look forward to a long and fruitful partnership.